Getting Your Home Ready for Sale
Here we outline a few areas that will help when owners are selling real estate in Mississauga. These few little tips may go a long way when it comes to the price you get for your home, or even the impression people get when they view your home.
• Make those minor repairs – no matter how minor.
• Whatever the season, do some spring cleaning.
• Have a yard sale or pack away in boxes those items that clutter.
• Create the illusion of spaciousness.
• Give your rooms a light, bright look. Use color and lighting to draw attention to your homes best selling features.
• Disguise unsightly views- remove heavy curtains, let the light in.
• Eliminate unpleasant odors. Avoid eccentricities- remove those beaded curtains!
• Accessories can make or break a room- avoid clutter.
• Display photos that show your home during other seasons.
YOUR HOME’S FRONT DOOR AND PORCH
• Create a welcoming spot in color- flower pot, paint front door.
• Invest in a new doormat.
• Open curtains, have sparkling windows.
YOUR HOME’S ENTRY HALL
• Create a dramatic focal point – e.g.., flowers, poinsettia, antiques.
• Add spaciousness with a well placed mirror.
• Improve floor appearance here, if nowhere else (except kitchen).
• Clean out your coat closet.
• Create the illusion of an entry hall if you have none-narrow table, open bookcase, railing, its own lighting area.
YOUR HOME’S LIVING ROOM AND FAMILY ROOM
• Treat these rooms as if they were stage settings-games room suggests good family life, a guitar is warm, a dictionary, half finished crossword puzzle- let the buyer imagine living in your home.
• Highlight your fireplace, decorating the mantle or above with picture.
• Improve traffic flow in these rooms.
• Draw attention to exposed beams or a cathedral ceiling.
• Don’t let the TV dominate or be the focal point of the room.
YOUR HOME’S DINING ROOM OR DINING AREA
• Set the scene by setting the table and add a centerpiece.
• Make a large dining room into, say, a dining room and a small library or add a desk.
• Visually enlarge a small dining area-remove leaves, place against wall, remove extra side chairs or large pieces.
YOUR HOME’S KITCHEN
• Use props to set the scene- open cookbook, basket of eggs, bunch of carrots on a cutting board, ceramic mixing bowl with whisk, etc.
• Make it smell great- simmer Christmas brew, bake bread, bowl of lemons, fresh coffee, cinnamon sticks etc.
• Expand your counter space, store small appliances, use a moveable cart.
• Create more storage space-neat organized shelves, hanging pot rack.
• Accent kitchen windows-plants, bird feeder outside window.